Monday, May 12, 2008

Reflections



Yesterday was a day of reflections.................
Mothers's Day............. I reflected on my own mother and the role she has played in my life and in who I am....... the things she has taught me and continues to teach me.
I reflected on the role of mothers in general, on what it means to be a mother, and where I am at in the process.
I thought about other mothers that I know, that we love. We spent the evening with Bret's mother, and had a nice time being together with family.

I reflected on life...... the blessings, the challenges, and how it all fits together.

Tyler turned 7 months old on Mother's Day. I thought of the great blessing she is in our family, and how much we love her. I thought of the sacrifices that it took to get her here, and yet how it was so very worth it, as I cannot imagine our family without her.

I thought of another mother that I have come to love and respect as a dear friend. She lost her son on the eve before Mother's Day after a 5 month battle with cancer. His sweet wife of less than 2 years, parting with him for a time. Thoughts of their family brought a solemness to the day for me, and caused me to do some reflecting. I thought of the tender and fragile state that life can be, the deep attachments that we have to one another, and wonder if I take advantage enough of the limited and precious time that we have together each day.

So for now, I put the household worries aside, and I watch my baby in wonder.

She lies there happily, and content to be in her daddy's arms. She gazes in wonder out the window and at the different ways the light reflects. She tilts her head to look up at his face and smiles, just knowing he is there, and then she is happy to drink her bottle, and just rest with him.

I was content to just watch them, ....... and to take the moment and treasure it up in my mind.


1 comment:

Jessica Y. said...

So sad to hear about your friend. What a great post about Mother's! Each day is so fragile when you really stop and think about it. Thanks for your thoughts.